Health & Human Services Program Requirements
Many Health & Human Services programs have additional requirements including completion of:
- First Aid & CPR Training
- Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks
- Child Abuse Registry Search
First Aid & CPR Training
Most programs require students to complete CPR and First Aid certification before beginning their program.
- Nonprofit Leadership does not require CPR or Emergency First Aid
- Cosmetology and Esthetics & Spa Therapies require CPR - A level and Emergency First Aid
- All other programs require CPR - C level and Standard First Aid
Many of our campuses offer certification throughout the year. Please check your local Campus for dates. These programs are also offered through Red Cross (1-877-356-3226) and St. John's Ambulance (1-800-565-5056).
Documentation indicating that you have completed these requirements will be collected at the beginning of your program.
Most programs require Standard (dTap, MMR, Varicella, TB) and Hepatitis B Immunizations to complete work placements. These immunizations are for your protection as well as the clients that you will be serving.
How to get immunized
Immunization vaccines can be accessed through your health care provider.
Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks
A current, official Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check and in some programs, a Child Abuse Registry search are required to complete work placements for all programs except Cosmetology, and Esthetics & Spa Therapies.
A conviction or finding on any of these checks may impact your ability to obtain a work placement or work in your field of study.
Students are responsible for obtaining these records and having them available to be reviewed by the placement partner prior to the start of the placement. The placement partner will determine the student’s eligibility for the placement.
How to complete a check
Your local RCMP detachment or police department can perform these checks. Please bring a piece of government issued photo ID with you. Check should be completed no earlier than one month prior to the start of your program, as it needs to be current at the time of review.
If you have a positive record
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Child Abuse Registry Search
A Child Abuse Registry Check is required for work placements where students interact directly with children. These programs include but may not be limited to Behavioural Interventions, Child & Youth Care, Early Childhood Education, Recreation for Health Communities and Therapeutic Recreation.
How to complete a search
- Go to gov.ns.ca/coms
- In the search box type: Request for Search Form A (PDF)
- After responding to the question on this form, print it off
- Mail your copy to the address indicated on the form – Be sure to include a copy of identification (Driver's License or Government picture ID)
- You will receive a letter from Community Services that you can share with your placement organizations